Greenlight Family Services has been providing legal guardianship services since 2003. Guardianship is legal custody that allows the caregiver to make decisions for the child in their care. It differs from adoption because the biological parents’ rights are not terminated.
Greenlight believes that guardianship is ideal in situations where the caregiver hopes to eventually return the child to their parents, or in situations where the parents are unwilling to have their rights terminated. Guardianship allows the caregiver to make legal, medical, educational, and financial decisions for the child or adult in their care.
After becoming the legal guardian through Greenlight legal services, the caregiver will have an easier time:
- Retaining custody
- Enrolling the child in school if the caregiver is seeking guardianship of a minor
- Consenting to medical treatment the child may need
- Applying for public benefits the child may be eligible to receive
- Making financial decisions if the caregiver is seeking guardianship of a disabled adult
- Regulating visits with the biologic parent(s)